Just following some very useful rules will improve your results and can help you gain that extra edge needed to win at poker, both online and off. By following the rules below you will be in more opportunistic situations more often and you won’t go broke as often by being in games you have no business playing. Good luck to all you soon to be card sharks!
1. Fast play high pairs and very strong hands before the flop capsa. This accomplishes two things; it puts more money into the pot early on and it encourages weak hands that could get a lucky flop and beat you to fold.
2. Remember to always keep an eye on the board. Novice poker players will usually focus more on their hands rather than watch the board. Being aware of the board allows advanced poker players to read the betting going on around them and then take advantage of this.
3. Check all of the player’s chips when they raise the bet. Players that are close to all-in often rush the betting just to get all their chips in a desperate last hand. This is something you can definitely use to your advantage.
4. Don’t play so many hands of poker. So what does that mean? Well, playing too many hands is a dead give-away that you’re a beginner and gives more advanced players the opportunity to figure out what type of hands you play. Fold when you have a bad hand no matter how tempting it may be to continue playing.
5. Don’t draw to the low end or both ends of a straight. Why? If a 9, 8, 7 flops, you want the Jack, 10 and not the 6, 5 or the 10, 6. The low part is commonly called the ignorant end of the straight. Chances are your opponents will be holding a higher card in the pocket completing the straight and have a winning hand.
6. Study your opponents especially when you are not playing and can pay very close attention. Do they find more hands to play than they fold? Do they bluff? Can they be bluffed? Do they have any giveaway mannerisms that disclose information about their hands? All of this is vital information for the savvy poker player.
I have played millions of hands of blackjack. I started sneaking into the casinos when I was 16. I have played online blackjack, I have counted cards, and worked with a team for a short while. With all that said I have still lost a lot of money at blackjack. The casinos have made it nearly impossible to beat the game.
I still enjoy the game and play on a regular basis. Over the years I have played a variation of blackjack called “The Take it Leave it Method”. You will not get rich with this method or beat the house, however you will have a lot of fun. This method is based on the fact that blackjack seems to be a game of streaks. When you’re hot your hot, and when your not you’re NOT! So this is what I do-
I play basic strategy blackjack. When I lose I bet the table minimum on the next hand. Lets say $5 . If I lose again I bet $5 again etc. Once I win I take the $5 paid to me and bet $5 again. If I win this hand I leave the $5 paid to me and bet $10 total. If I win again I take the $10 paid to me, and if I win the next hand I leave it for a total of $20. I keep betting this way “Take it Leave it etc”. Once I lose I lower the bet back down to $5.
I am very strict and never “chicken out”. It gets very exciting sometimes. If you win a few hands in the row your bets go up very quick. Before you know it you are betting $100-200/ hand. I have had great streaks a few times now. I left a $5 table at the Luxor a few years back with $750 after 45 minutes using this method! And a few months ago in Vegas I left a table with $1200!