Graton Casino in Sonoma County planning private 4,000-person New Year’s Eve party

ROHNERT PARK, Calif. (KGO) — The Graton Casino in Rohnert Park is closing its doors to the public on New Years Eve, instead hosting a private party, according to their website.

Sonoma County Officials say they are aware of the event.

RELATED: Check out these COVID-safe Bay Area holiday light shows, activities, events

“It would be our preference to not have a party with 4,000 people indoors,” said Paul Gullixson, a spokesperson for Sonoma County during a press conference Wednesday.

Sonoma County Public Health officer Dr. Sundari Mase said she had been in touch with the casino, but has no jurisdiction over sovereign land.

“They are trying to do things with as much mitigation as they can, in terms of limiting indoor capacity to 20% of what’s normal, in terms of enforcing facial coverings or masks and social distancing,” said Mase.

Sonoma County Supervisor David Rabbitt, who has been skeptical about closing things like outdoor dining, was more forceful in his rebuttal, saying the science is clear about large indoor gatherings.

VIDEO: SJ church continues defying COVID-19 orders with plans for indoor Christmas Eve service

“I don’t think it’s necessarily a great thing in that regard. It’s a difficult time, but gatherings have proven to be something that causes spread to occur rapidly,” said Rabbitt.

Though, if they are going to be open on New Years Eve, he says at least they are planning on capping the number of people rather than letting it get out of hand.

If the 4,000-person figure mentioned by Gullixson is 20% capacity, the casino could theoretically fit 20,000 inside if they wanted.

“By having it be invite-only I suppose they could control who comes in, rather than expecting having a much larger number over the course of the evening,” said Rabbitt.

In a statement, the tribal chairman Greg Sarris told ABC7:
“The Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria continue to work closely with the Sonoma County Public Health Officer. Graton Resort & Casino will remain open on a limited basis and continues to exceed all CDC safety requirements. In addition to those safety measures already in place, team members are tested for COVID-19 every two weeks and wear digital devices that ensure social distancing. Bars will continue to remain closed, and walk up alcohol service will end nightly at 9:00 pm.”

If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.

Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here

RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:

Copyright © 2020 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.



Source link

Sign Up

Sign Up to receive the latest coupons and news directly to your mailbox

Contact US

For Business Related Queries:
[email protected]

For Customer Support:
[email protected]

GuciPoker
Copyright © 2021 GuciPoker | All rights reserved | All logos and trademarks belong to their respective companies